4 lb Chuck Roast or your favorite roasting meat
1 large Onion, large dice
2 Tbsp Vegetable Oil
2 Carrots, peeled and cut into 3” pieces
1 cup DCD Cocoa Roma Pasta Sauce
½ stick Butter
¼ cup All-Purpose Flour
- Heat a large cast iron skillet or large frying pan over medium high to high heat until pan gets very hot
- Trim roast, pat dry and rub vegetable oil over entire surface. Apply Salt and Pepper to all sides.
- Place roast in skillet and sear on all sides for approximately 1-2 minutes.
- Transfer roast to crock pot.
- Add 1Tbsp vegetable oil to skillet and sauté Onions and Carrots for 3-4 minutes. Transfer onions and carrots to slow cooker.
- Pour 1 cup DCD Cocoa Roma Pasta Sauce over top of roast. Cover.
- Cook on LOW for 6-8 hours or until roast is fork tender.
- Remove all liquid from slow cooker and reserve.
- In skillet, add ½ cup butter and melt over medium heat. Add ¼ cup All-Purpose Flour and stir with whisk until roux is smooth and bubbling. Add reserved liquid and stir until gravy is smooth and has thickened.
- Serve with Mashed Potatoes, Rice, or Noodles.