6 bone-in short ribs (about 5 3/4 pounds)
4-6 tablespoons DCD Sweet ‘n’ Spicy Cocoa Rub
Extra-virgin olive oil
1 large Spanish onion, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
2 ribs celery, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
2 carrots, peeled, cut in 1/2 lengthwise, then cut into 1/2-inch pieces
2 cloves garlic, smashed
¼ cup tomato paste
1 bottle DCD Dark Chocolate Red Wine Cooking Sauce
Salt and pepper, to taste
chopped parsley, to garnish
1. Season each short rib generously with Cocoa Rub. Coat a pot large enough to accommodate all the meat and vegetables with olive oil and bring to a high heat.
2. Add the short ribs to the pan and brown very well, about 2 to 3 minutes per side. Do not overcrowd pan. Cook in batches, if necessary. When the short ribs are very brown on all sides, remove them from the pan and drain the fat from the pan. Reserve the pan for the next step.
3. Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F. Coat the bottom of the same pan with fresh oil and add the chopped vegetables. Brown the vegetables until they are dark brown. Add the tomato paste and brown for 4 to 5 minutes. Add the Cooking Sauce and scrape the bottom of the pan.
4. Return the short ribs to the pan. Add water (if needed) to ensure ribs are covered halfway with liquid. Cover, and place in the preheated oven for 5-6 hours. Check periodically during the cooking process and add water, if needed. Turn the ribs over halfway through the cooking time. Remove lid for final 30 minutes of cooking. When done the meat should be very tender but not falling apart. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
5. Remove pan from oven and carefully place the ribs onto a plate and wrap with foil to keep warm.
6. Using a spoon or ladle, remove the layer of fat from the top of the braising liquid. To serve, arrange short ribs on a plate and sauce each with the braising liquid. Garnish with chopped parsley.