— Makes approximately 12-15 latkes
– 2 cups store-bought shredded hash browns or potatoes, packed
– 1/2 medium onion, grated
– 2 tablespoons flour
– 1 teaspoon kosher salt– 2 tablespoons DCD Sweet ‘n’ Spicy Cocoa Rub
– 1 egg, beaten lightly
– Sour Cream and/or apple sauce
– Spread hash browns and onion on a kitchen towel and roll up jelly-roll style. Twist towel tightly to wring out as much liquid as possible.
– Transfer potato mixture to a bowl and stir in flour, salt, cocoa rub and egg.
– Heat 1/2 cup oil in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking. Working in batches of 5-6 latkes, spoon 2 tablespoons potato mixture per latke into skillet, spreading into 3-inch rounds with a fork. Reduce heat to moderate and cook until undersides are browned, about 5 minutes. Turn latkes over and cook until undersides are browned, about 5 minutes more.
– Transfer to paper towels to drain and season with additional salt and/or cocoa rub. Add more oil to skillet as needed. Keep latkes warm on a wire rack set in a shallow baking pan in oven. Serve latkes with a dollop of sour cream and/or apple sauce.